Saturday, June 16, 2007

Who Art Thou, Prague

I type this from the lobby of the Hotel Ibisi in Prague, where I arrived at 6am. Although this was my first day in Eastern Europe, it didnt feel that much different than a day in New York. Please forgive any grammar mistakes...this keyboard is formatted differently than ones in the US.

First, I crashed in my hotel room for the first half of the day. I was exhausted before I flew, and that only got worse. I slept for about five hours after I arrived.

I have to say that if I had flown eight hours soley to visit Prague, I would have been sorely disappointed. Prague is indeed a lovely city, but very American. My hotel is located directly across the street from Pragues largest shopping mall. The mall is home to stores such as Sephora, Quicksilver, Bennetton and Gap. Gwen Stefani and Kelly Clarkson are pumped into store speakers.

I later decided to walk around town. Young Czech men played hip hop while whistling at me. Seriously...did I travel 8 hours on a plane for that? I can get that at home. I traveled via subway to the heart of Prague, expecting more, but it was a pretty, if simple, tourist center. I finished the night at an Italian restaurant, where I had a glass of wine and a Hawaiian pizza.

The good news is that there are lots of dogs in Prague, so while most people were admiring the old buildings, I was playing with dogs. Curiously, all the dogs here are muzzled. I assume that it is because 1) by law, all dogs must be muzzled, or 2) this is a country of exceptionally vicious dogs. Im thinking it is a law.

I suppose it was a nice way to get acclimated to Eastern Europe, although in the end it was pretty unremarkable.

Im exhausted. Pictures, and hopefullý proper punctuation, coming shortly...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home